Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System process using 100% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
I have a computer that has been running very slow lately. When I go to task manager, it shows that the System process is using 100% of CPU. I have closed all programs, as well as stopped unimportant background processes, and it still shows 100% usage. I also disabled all of the unneeded services. It is a 1Ghz PIII, with 128 MB of RAM. Has anyone else encountered this and if so how did you fix it?

I figured it out. There was a Xerox print service running that wasn't even showing up in Task Manager at all. I just had to uninstall that.

9 times out of 10 Print Drivers will hang it up every time. I had an HP Printer that was hanging up my 2k machine. As a matter of fact I have seen it a lot.

ME

I have been fighting a problem with oscillating CPU usage for a week on my home machine. The thing was slow and cpu usage was between 2 and 70% even with nothing running. navapsvc.exe was intermittently hogging most of the cpu.

In reading this thread, it suddenly dawned on me that I had just installed an Epson colour printer. I stopped the USB and turned off the printer - no difference. However, when I turned off the Epson card monitor, my problem went away.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back