Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system process using 100% cpu all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnynuggetz

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
I have a win2k pro machine that is constantly at 100% cpu usage. Looking at Task Manager shows the System process the guilty party. Checked for viruses and no services seem to be trying to start. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Dan

I had this on a NT4 server go this at work. The RPC wasn't starting and the server was very busy trying to start it.

I could get into the Task Manger (ctrl-alt-del) and use the 'New Task' to start to explore the system. It was just a matter of checking things.

I also had a NT4 box which had a dead CD drive. NT was trying to talk to it instead of talking to me.

Check your Devices in the Control Panel to see if anything is not running. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Do you have an HP Deskjet printer? Sometimes they cause this condition.

You probibaly need some patch.Update system.What proccess is eating CPU?Do you have AVP?Any background applications?
When you turn off all threads that you can does it still happends? Sleew
Compaq & Microsoft TS
sleew@infosky.net

If it's an HP Deskjet/Officejet problem, you should go into BIOS and switch the parallel port to ECP mode. That usually fixes it.

This could even be a very large tmp file eating up proceesor time. You might want to start in safe mode and delete those tmp files. Might be just that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back