Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system policies set not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

JodieK

Instructor
Jul 27, 2001
GB
Hello

I have windows nt4 server with windows 98 workstations. I have set up a system policy for users which is not working at all. I have created the file called ntconfig.pol and saved it in the netlogon share, but the policies are not applied when the user logs in. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jodie

Did you create the policy using a Windows 98 workstation and running a Windows 98 Policy Editor? Policies must be created within the intended OS, then copied to the NT server.

yes, i created it on 98 and saved the ntconfig.pol file to the network share folder netlogon...

Jodie

Windows 98 uses a file called config.pol and not ntconfig.pol, which is reserved for NT workstations.

it doesn't work with config.pol either. could it be something to do with the place i'm saving it? i'm saving it on a share called netlogon

Jodie

You should be saving it on all your domain controllers, in the WINNT\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts folder.

You should be using the proper templates to create the file. The templates have .adm extensions on them. Some are suitable for Win9x, some are for NT. You should be using 'common.adm' and 'windows.adm'.

The policy editor program you ran to create the policy...did you copy the executable from an NT machine, or did you find it somewhere else? I think there are separate versions, but my memory's fuzzy on this.

Does your policy target users, or does it target groups? There are extra requirements for it to target groups.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back