Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Performance Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2006
US
Can anyone recommend a good utility or software package that I can run on a local PC and have it run performance test and provide upgrade/performance suggestions in a easy to read report? I would like to have it not install anything on the machine but if it has too I am fine with it.

This would be something I would like to run on home PCs as well as office PCs.

Thank You

Maybe the tern I was looking for was more less a "tuneUp" Utility of some sort. I know there are a ton out there, so if anyone has used one with great results, please let me know.

Thank You

Belarc Advisor tells you some performance specs along with detailed system info.

Also, you can look at the apps from CPUID:

And there's also Everest:

Take a look at all 3 if you like. Otherwise, there are probably others, but this might at least get you started.

And there are some different popular Hard drive testers. One being HdTach.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

That's a big distinction between diagnostic/benchmark apps and so-called "tune-up" apps. One simply reports what is there and/or tests the hardware, the other actively alters the OS.

Generally "Tune-up" apps are a waste of time and money and there are so many bogus ones out there (some are malware as well) that your best bet is a recent "fresh" OS installation coupled with safe computing habits and a fully-patched system. If you're running specialty hardware or overclocking, then use a benchmark program like SiSoft's Sandra to dial it in. If you just want to know what you've got use Belarc. There is no magic bullet.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I generally think the same on "tune-up" apps, but I've tried these, and they have worked VERY well for me and others. I actually avoided a system reinstall on a couple occasions on my main machine b/c of them:

1. Advanced System Care by IOBit
2. Glary Utilities
3. CCleaner - mostly just a cleanup tool, but it's registry tool has worked fine for me.
4. The old RegScrubXP still helps at times, even though it's not been supported for some time. Too bad, it could have been the best, I imagine, considering its age.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back