Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System not picking up PS2 mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I've been given a Fedora Core system (FC6) on a laptop. As a laptop it is OK - the touchpad works. When I plug in a PS2 mouse, it is not getting picked up. When I plug in a USB mouse it is picked up but I prefer using the PS2 mouse since they have longer cables and I have a lot more of these than USB mice.

What do I need to modify to get the laptop to pick up the PS2 mouse? I can't find any menu options for configuring hardware.

It used to be an XP machine and it was used with a mouse. It can be used for both keyboard and mouse with a splitter.

I don't know a lot about Fedora configuration and where they hide stuff. Is there something like "Add new hardware" in Windows. If I have to configure it manually, it is not a problem, I just need to know where this stuff lives.

I've had a look at /dev, which is where I think Linux puts devices but I can't figure out what the PS2 mouse is called.

Apparently it has to be added and hasn't been part of the default configuration since FC2. This bit is beyond me so I'll just have to get another USB mouse.

That points to an input device but there is no PS2 device in /dev. I probably need to rebuild the kernel and add a PS2 device. I'll dig around. Haven't been in this area for over 10 years. The last time I changed something like that, the mouse was on COM2 which was something with s1 in it.

Thanks for the link.

There is nothing in /dev which begins with ps. I'll give it a try when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back