Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SYSTEM MESSAGES IN GERMAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ildegardo

Technical User
Feb 23, 2008
IT
I’m facing a strange behaviour on my VFP9 – SP2.
When testing my projects (on the VFP environment) and programmatically calling, as an example, the function DISPLAY STATUS TO FILE "myfile", I get a file based on the English language.
When I build the EXE from the same project, the function DISPLAY STATUS TO FILE "myfile" outputs a file based on the German language.
Basically all system messages when working on the VFP basic environment are English. When working EXE a lot of them (not really all!) switch into German.
Which is the reason for that? How can I recover, having always English used.
Thank you in advance.

Ildegardo,

The choice of language for these internal messages depends on the so-called locale-specific resource fle that is installed. These are files with names like VFP9RENU.DLL (which is English) and VFP9RDEU.DLL (which might be German).

This only applies when applications are run from an executable, which explains why you didn't see a problem when running in the development environment.

To decide which resource file to use, VFP checks a registry entry. You can programmatically change that entry to point to a different file. Or, you can specify the file by means of command-line switches when you launch your app.

For details of both methods, see the VFP 9 Help topic, "Managing Files in an International Application".

Hope this helps.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back