Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System.mdw New Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliann95

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
US
Hello,

I am having a lapse in memory from the holidays. I have a few new employees which i need to add to my permissions for all the databases. We have about 15 different ones in the building on a server. Do i have to add them to each one individually? or can i somehow just add them to the *.MDW file and they can have access to all of them?
Thanks for any help.
[morning]

Not sure how you have your databases set up. The way I do it is that I have a separate .mdw file for each database. Each mdw file contains groups to which users are assigned. Each group has certain privileges. Then I create a shortcut on the user's machine. In the target field of the shortcut I specify the workgroup file that should be used (i.e. path\msaccess.exe path\MyDatabase.mdb /wrkgrp path\MyWorkgroup.mdw). In this scenerio, you would have to add the new users to each workgroup (database) that the user will access.

Another way of doing it is to have one workgroup file that is used by all of the databases. The workgroup file would contain groups, with each group given rights to specific databases. The users would then be assigned to the groups (databases) they should have access to. In this scenerio, you would only have to add the user's name once and then assign the user to the appropriate groups.

Like FancyPrairie, I also use the Target in the Shortcut property window and separate WIFs for my databases. One note though, you need to put quotes around the 3 parts:

(i.e. "path\msaccess.exe" "path\MyDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "path\MyWorkgroup.mdw")

Ann

I have one MDW file for all our databases. We have it located on our server. When i create the shortcut on everyones machine I have to go to the regedit files and change the path there? I just dont know how to add a new user to this?

I don't understand. To add a new user, you simply open your database and select TOOLS|SECURITY|USER GROUPS AND ACCOUNTS and add the new user there. If the database you open is referring to the workgroup you have on the server, you're done.

You should not have to mess with RegEdit. The target property of the shortcut will point to the correct workgroup. However, if you don't include all of the information in the target that we mentioned in the previous posts, it won't work. You especially need to include the path of msaccess.exe in the target property. annsolomon put quotes around the the pathnames. This is needed if your path name contains spaces. So to reiterate,
create a shortcut on your desktop (or whereever), right click on the shortcut and select Properties. The target property must contain 3 sections: One points to the path of msaccess.exe, the second one points to the path of your database, the third one points to the path of your workgroup file.

"path\msaccess.exe" "path\YourDB.mdb" /wrkgrp "path\YourWorkgroup.mdw"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back