Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System locks at shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrblonde

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
US
Windows 98 SE, IBM Aptiva

Hi again,
When my user shuts her system down, it will freeze after going to a blue screen (not the blue screen of death) and she will have to kill the power, which causes scandisk to run the next time she boots up. This problem won't occur for awhile if she has recently defraged her drive (FYI). Again, I'm just looking for testing procedures here.

Thanks

Easy fix. You need to go to the BIOS and disable your power management and also in your power management in your control panel make sure you put all the settings as never. Default is 15 min I think. But chose never from the drop down menu. Then go to Microsoft.com and do a search for the Win 98 SE shutdown patch and download and install. Aster you do all this your roblems will be all solved. Let us know how you make out. Have a great day....Harley

test the msconfig to see what is not shutting down and releasing the system? or does it release windows and then go to blue screen?

Are you running an anti-virus? Norton tends to cause this also. If so, set it to manual update.

Does anyone have a link to this shut down patch mentioned by xHarleyx? I went to the Microsoft sight but could not find it.

Hey mrblonde to get to the bios like xHarleyx was telling you about you have to do that from dos hit F1 when you are loading your computer and that will allow you to go into dos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back