Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System is slow on bootup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarface06

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
I have another situation if anyone can help me.
Im currently running a P4 1.3 ghz system. I have
a 7200 rpm Western Digital 80 gig hdd on primary
as master with a 7200 rpm Seagate 80 gig as the slave.
On the secondary, I have a CD-ROM as master with
a Yamaha CD-RW as slave. All the cables and jumper
settings are fine.

However, on bootup my system is really slow. I dont
think its the bios. If I disconnect my second hard
drive, the 80 gig Seagate, then everything is fine.
The bootup is fast and normal.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

check your boot order in the BIOS, switch to c: only will make it faster, but youll have to change it if you ever have to boot from anything else. you probabaly also have the BIOS autodetecting the drives, which can take awhile sometimes depending on the amount of drives. it quite possibly could be you power supply too since you said if you disconnect a drive its faster. try to disconnect different things and see if that is teh case with all of them, if so, then you know you're not getting enough power to your system.

take out unecessary startup items too.

Are you using an 80 wire/ 40 pin cable for the HD's? If not I would suggest you get one. If you are you could try replacing it, as it could be faulty. Make sure that your jumpers are set correctly on the HD's. If you are using XP, I have noticed that after a while it does tend to slow down whilst booting.

DOwnload drive fitness test from IBM. Run it against the seagate drive, It will most likely pass the quick test, run the longer test. It might fail with slow system performance. Had a seagate do this last fall,and 2 just last month. If it fails drive must be replaced.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back