Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System.ini and win.ini Tabs Empty in Msconfig XP-Pro 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hello;I have not been having any problems at all,I just went into msconfig to check my startup items,and I just happened to click on the system.ini Tab and the Win.ini Tab,and there's nothing in either one of them?????what's up with that,I have been very good about watching out for virus'es and spyware.My computer seem's to be running ok,and restarting and booting ok...Do I Need to Worry About this??Am I in trouble because of this?I have not seen this before.I think the last thing I ran was Driver cleaner pro,To cleanout all creative Labs Audio.Thats it.I don't think that is the problem.Am I in trouble here?? I'm Running Windows Xp Pro Sp2.Please Reply A.S.A.P thankyou.

You should have a backup copy of those files stored on your hard drive. Navigate to "C:\WINDOWS\pss" and you should see a "system.ini.backup" and a "win.ini.backup". Copy those files and rename them "system.ini" and "win.ini". Move those files to "C:\Windows" to replace the blank files and see if that resolves your issue.

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

I see these 2 files in windows\pss as a backup.But the date on them is 12 of 2000.I don't really want them do I?? Running windows XP do I really need these 2 files in the msconfig,when the computer seems to be running ok??

ok,I restored the 2 files,computer still seems to run ok,and the sys.ini and win.ini are back in the msconfig file.Don't know if I really needed them anyway?Is it nessary for them to be there and loaded on startup?

If you are not running older 16 bit DOS type programs then XP will not use them. Maybe those files are created automatically by XP when they are removed or deleted at the next boot, perhaps from the pss folder?

All I know is there is no change in speed,and I don't use any old dos 16 bit programs,So I guess it dosen't matter either way I guess,Anyway there back there now,and it didn't change anything as far as performance.Thanks for all help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back