Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Information gather by script

Status
Not open for further replies.

golflover

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2003
US
I'm trying to gather each users system information to determine the amount of memory installed on each users PC. I want to dump it to a .txt file on the network so I have a list of all users. I'm thinking I can somehow run msinfo.exe in a script and dump it to this text file? Ideas?

I am running Novell 4.11, no AD...

Thanks.

There are many ways you could actually use the msinfo32.exe command to gather this information from remote computers for you. Msinfo32.exe can be used with various switches to get the desired information you are looking for. How are you looking to run the command? You could run the command from your own computer against a remote machine and save it to a text file on your PC if you wish or you could set it up as a logon script. Here is an example of how you could run the command from your own computer to gather the information of a remote computer.

Go to Start|Run|and type cmd to open a command prompt and then type the following command filling in the correct information (computername, filename) where applicable. This will save the remote system information as a text file in the directory where you ran the command from.

start msinfo32.exe /computer computername /categories systemsummary /report filename

If you would like to see the various switches available for the msinfo32.exe command type start msinfo32.exe /? at the command prompt.

Here are some links with some more information on using msinfo32.exe. The bottom JSI link actually has an example logon script set up for retrieving information on a remote machine and dumping it to a text file on a logon server. You could probably manipulate it to suit your needs.

- Windows 2000 command line switches for Msinfo32.exe

- How can I collect system information from my clients in a logon script?

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Thanks to the both of you... I'm trying to get this to work via a script over the network but should be able to get it to work, thanks for your help.

I use psinfo ( for this type of reporting. There should be no need to run it from a login script. Providing you can see all of the PCs over the network you can run it from a command prompt on your own PC.

psinfo usage said:
PsInfo v1.75 - Local and remote system information viewer
Copyright (C) 2001-2007 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals -
PsInfo returns information about a local or remote Windows NT/2000/XP system.

Usage: psinfo [-h] [-s] [-d] [-c [-t delimiter]] [filter] [\\computer[,computer[
,..]]|@file [-u Username [-p Password]]]
-u Specifies optional user name for login to
remote computer.
-p Specifies password for user name.
-h Show installed hotfixes.
-s Show installed software.
-d Show disk volume information.
-c Print in CSV format
-t The default delimiter for the -c option is a comma,
but can be overriden with the specified character. Use
"\t" to specify tab.
filter Psinfo will only show data for the field matching the filter.
e.g. "psinfo service" lists only the service pack field.
computer Direct PsInfo to perform the command on the remote
computer or computers specified. If you omit the computer
name PsInfo runs the command on the local system,
and if you specify a wildcard (\\*), PsInfo runs the
command on all computers in the current domain.
@file PsInfo will run against the computers listed in the file
specified.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back