Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System I as a Domain Controller? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
Hello,

I've had a questio from a potential client about using a System I as a domain controller/file server.

The current scenario is that Site A has a Windows Domain environment with Windows Domain Controller & File servers.

Site B is coming soon, and the plan was to add a new site to the Domain and add a domain controller for faster logon

There is the potential to run a telephony solution on the System I, and instead of buying a windows server and a system I, it's been asked if the System I can deal with authentication to the Active Directory on the other site, but also act as a site within the domain to enable fast logon.

I presume this will be some sort of kerberos replica, but how would you actually go about doing this?

Any advice appreciated.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Well as far as I know you can;

- Create a Linux LPAR on your iSeries and install SAMBA to work as an AD Domain Controller

OR

- Buy an IXA (Integrated xSeries Adapter) for an iSeries which will allow you to install a Windows OS on it.

Don't know much about the IXA, but I have a feeling it would be a lot more expensive than just buying an xSeries server (or similar) on its own running Windows

HTH

The LPAR idea would be ideal! That sounds very interesting indeed.

A quick Google would suggest it's quite well documented, but can you point me to some recent documentation? Stuff like how to add it as a site and talk to the other DC would be very useful.

Thanks, and a well deserved star!

Much appreciated, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back