Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System hangs at bootup after rpc services????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan777

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
US
Hi,

My system hangs at the rpc services at boot time. Not quite sure what to or how to go about starting my system. Any ideas on how to troble shoot the problem would be apperciated.

Regards,

Jonathan

boot to singleuser mode and fsck filesystems that normally mount when system starts.
(to make sure you don't have a seriously corrupted filesystem)
check nfs mounted filesystems if they are not mounted with soft,bg options then the system can hang trying to mount a remote filesystem from a server that is down. if nfs mounts are mounted soft and background then the system will come up and try to mount these filesystems in the background.

has this only just started happening?
have you just upgraded your computer, or OS?
did you set up the system to use NIS or NIS+ (or possibly other services) ... if so:
are you connected to the network?
is your network card working/recognised?
is your host name in the /etc/hosts file?
is the server turned on?
is the servers host name in your /etc/hosts file?
is the /etc/nsswitch.conf file damaged?

Jon

The problem just started happening on two client boxes.
No I did not upgrade the os or computer.
The network card are working fine.
The /etc/hosts files is fine.
server is on.
the server host name is in the /etc/hosts file.
the /etc/nfsswitch.conf file is ok.

I think the problem is that a DOMAIN name does not exist anymore. When I type in the domainname, I get nothing.
I domain name server is probably down or taken off line. BUt all the other computers on the network seem to work just fine. It's just then I know the same problem will happen to the other client boxes if I reboot them. They will hang as well. If the domain server is offline, what do I need to do to get the clients up and running on the network? Please help.

Thanks

Jon

well to set the domain use 'domainname <domainname>.' make sure you add the final dot if you are running NIS ... if you aren't leave it out ...

other than that ... you could always try 2 techniques ...

1) copy the /etc/nsswitch.files to /etc/nsswitch.conf and then try configuring for DNS/NIS/etc ...
2) do a sys-unconfig and set up the machine ID from scratch ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back