Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
Gateway/Microstar ms6330 mobo/ athlon processor/ XP pro

System freezes just before or just after bootup - no bsod or error msg. Same in safe mode. Stripped down to hdd and video (new) only. Tried new ram and power supply. Tried replacing hdd and installing XP pro on a new drive - freezes at first option screen. Reseated processor. Fans working.

I'm down to the processor and mobo. How can I tell which needs to be replaced? If I replace the mobo or processor with the same model will I have problems booting with the original hdd?

Any suggestions welcome - I've been working on this for hours......

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

Check the bios jumper on the mobo. Do you have the manual to identify the jumpers on the mobo? If so, unplug the power supply plug to the mobo(some voltages remain even when power is unplugged), set the jumper to "clear". Wait 5 - 10 seconds and set the jumper back to "run". Hook the power supply back up (leave the HDD and floppy disconnected) and see if it will boot to "no operating system found". You will have to go back into BIOS and reset things. If so, hook up the floppy and try again to see if it will boot on the Emergency Boot Disk you created previously (you did make one didn't you?). If no EBD, you should still get "system not found". If this works, hook up the Hard Drive and try again. If it was the CPU, it wouldn't boot at all. (Black screen)

Hi there,

Your problem sounds to me in the Video card, if it freeze in windows only,

Try to change the video card,

Good luck,

IF you can get XP to boot check the event viewer under Control Panels, Admin tools, Event Viewer, System and see if there are any error messages that might give you a clue. I've been batteling a similar problem on a new PC for 3 weeks and it turns out my Linksys router was causing at least some of the issues for hanging up. The router could not be re-flashed for the latest firmware that contained XP udates (worked fine on W98). Replaced the router and (so far) problems seem to be solved.

bygeek,
Inspect the capasitors on the mobo. They are the tall barrel shaped things. Look at the tops of them for splits, bulges or crowning. They should be flat on the tops. I would suspect either this or the power supply to be the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Miker: I do not have mobo manual but will see if I can find on their website.

Smans: Have tried two new video cards already.

Mtboulder: I haven't been able to get the system up long enough to look at anything.

Maingeek: capacitors look brand new - as stated, already tried new power supply.

Any other ideas welcome.

Bios update may be a good idea, but I can't find the right one. Current bios ia AMI version 7 dated 8/21/00. Mobo is ms-6330 v2.1.

It is a little unclear on the MSI website as to exactly which model yours is compared to the 6330's that they list.
The highest CPU supported by any of models is an XP1800+ but be warned, these are Palomino core only and not the current Thoroughbred core (this could be your problem?)
Palomino has larger/squarer core, thoroughbred core is smaller and is more rectangular shaped.
If your motherboard does support the Palomino you have then it may well need the bios flashing to recognise the faster speed. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Hi there, I've reread your post and noticed that you say you replaced the RAM!?

suggestion and question - is the RAM you use a namebrand and is it compatible to the MOBO? I've had a sim. problem ways back, just like yours, comp would freeze lock up at strange times (usually 5 - 10 min after power up)... Replaced the RAM with a namebrand (after switching CPU and MOBO) and it is working still today (no strange freezes anymore)...

Ben

This happened to me once and it was the Ide cable to the HDD, as soon as windows booted it froze, either that or video card. If it was a power issue it would not be freezing at the same time on every boot.

Thanks for all the input, gang. Customer has decided to buy a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back