Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system freez

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhag

Technical User
May 27, 2005
US

While browsing the internet, the system completely freezes and the monitor screen turns black. Just the power light is on. It happens usually after 30 - 40 minutes of using the internet.I don't understand what is happening and what I should do? I am using Internet explore 6.0 browser, Cable connection through Bell Sympatico. I got to turn off the power and restart the system again.
Actually everything was fine before I could install Bell Sympatico High speed edition. After installing Bell Sympatico, my system starts up really really slow. When I try to shutdown, sometimes I get "Windows is shutting down" message but it is not shutting down. I tried to install patches as directed by some Bell sympatico technical help. Nothing works.
This is my system resource details: windows 98(SE), Compaq Computer, AMD-K6(tm) 3D Processor, 184.0MB RAM
I am not too familiar with technical terms. I am using this system at home. I would appreciate everyones suggestion in simple words. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.
Bhag

Check out DSLReports.com, there is some information there on adjusting speed on the internet and possibly on the ISP you are using.

It sounds like the software you installed is causing the problem, I would try uninstalling it and try to reinstall it and see if you have the same problem as the first step. CJ
- Paper MCSE in training

Listen to make sure that the fans in you box are still running. I advise this just because it is important and also quick to check. What makes me think of it is the black screen and such, which can happen when a system overheats.

The other situation that can give some symptoms along those lines is problems with power management, acpi, and apm, and windows and the Bios not having a good understanding. Lucky for you, since you'll save a lot of diagnostic headache, that is probably not your problem. You would have noticed it some time ago if it were.

From what you have said, that the problem seems to have begun after the cable drivers and that the freezes occur when online, then, although I still suggest just being sure your fans are going, it sounds to me that Charlie has a good pointer for info, the DSLreports site, together with the advice of uninstall and reinstall what appears to be the problem software and drivers.

Good luck. It must be torture to only be allowed online thirty minutes at a time before having your system nosedive. :<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back