Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System for boat navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisOfOz

Technical User
Aug 24, 2010
AU
Hi all :)
I have bought aboat on the cheap now the interesting part is navigation and electronics....
So my project will need to do the following
A: run off 12v efficiently so no inverter
B: incorporate exisisting hardware which is wind speed , ship speed (log) , depth sounder.
C: incorporate new hardware , radar ,GPS ,anchor watch , bilge watch (those two will need to call or message a phone), engine monitor, battery monitor, auto helm for sail boat.

And any other useful items for safe sailing maybe something for weather watch and mapping

I have found a free open source navigation system for windows or linux

Now as for my skills I barely know Linux but I am tempted to go down that path for all the good reasons I have a better than average understanding of windows.

I would like a large touchscreen at the nav table relaying to a pad on cockpit and a pad in my bunk.
I want to run it as wireless as possible the existing hardware is wired but there are things to make it wireless and communicate on the boat standard nmea (I think)

I believe apple has a software package called navtronics which apparently is great but how do I control that from below decks on an I pad in the cockpit?

Oh and apparently some boaties are hooking there laptops direct to 12v system cutting out the power block but 12v to 19v seems a bit dubious maybe through a ups but even then!

Anyway that is the project any help or helpful suggestions would be great.

Thnx Chris

For 12v systems, simply search for Car / Auto PC components.

However, be wary, you need to make sure a lot if this equipment is waterproof. Yes you may think your ship is fairly water tight, but when you come off deck dripping with water, last thing you want is to loose all your comms and navigation.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I would have thought an embedded intel atom based panel pc that is waterproof should do the trick. trouble is it might cost as much as the boat! :)

Ebay....

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Hmm yup the atom looks good but sounds expensive and yes a auto shop could be the go. Good advice with the waterproof I will use Bluetooth keyboard to keep wet hands off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back