Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System fan runs at full speed all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkchopexpress

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2005
GB
Hi all

I have been running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on my Notebook for a while now and love it, unfortunately i've had issues with every version since where the system fan runs at full speed all of the time. I have checked that no processes are using 100% CPU but as far as i can tell the system is under no more load than under 6.06. I have tried 7.04, 7.10 and the new 8.04 Beta and they are all the same. Even if i leave it alone for a while under no load the fan still runs at full speed but under 6.06 it would always drop back to idle and still does.

Can anyone suggest what areas i can check to try and troubleshoot this?

Acer Aspire 1313 LC Notebook (1310 Series)
1800 GHz AMD CPU
512 Mb RAM
80 GB Seagate 5400 HD.

Thanks.

I'll take a look at those links cheers.

@ stefanwagner: no it's a S3 ProSavage DDR

Thanks.

I'm not really an advanced Linux user, i've had a look through those links and i'm not quite sure what the solution is. Can you offer some pointers?

Thanks.

Try the BOOT option ACPI=OFF ...

and the last link: http:// ubuntuforu ms.org/sho wthread.ph p?t=482900 &highl ight=AMILO +Pro+V3515

talks about editing the DSDT file, which gets loaded at BOOT and configures various parameters...

other than that, I am in the same boat as you are PCE... I am not a Linux Guru myself, just know where to look for stuff... ;)

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back