Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Fan not running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFK

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
OK, here's my situation. I have an HP Pavillion that has started rebooting on it's own. The longer it's been running, the more frequent the reboots. So I figure it's overheating somehow.

I check the CPU fan, it's working. I check the Power Supply fan and that's working. There are no other fans in the PC.

I go into setup, and it says my CPU fan is running, but it says my system fan isn't running. Now, my system fan is my Power Supply fan, right? Because I don't see any other fan there. Unless a system fan is just an option for an extra fan I don't have?

If the fans are one and the same, why doesn't my PC recognize it, even though it's running?

I haven't made any changes either hardware or software to my PC, and have not changed memory at all.

Thanks in advance,
TFK

There is a header somewhere on the motherboard that you can plug a fan into and no fan is there. Try running the computer with the case open and see what happens. If it does not fail then buy a fan and install it.

just because fans are spinning doesn't mean they are doing much cooling if the case and the fans are dusty or full of pet hair or what not, that prevents sufficient ventilation of heat. The system fan should be expelling a soft breeze of air flow out the back with little or no warmth felt on the palm of your hand. If the air flow is barely detectable on your palm and feels warm then you need to clean the case/vents and power supply and fans.

I wouldn't worry about the setup saying the fan is not running since obviously the computer is running when you check that. The rebooting could also be a power supply not functioning properly or the computer could be plugged into a circuit that has become overloaded. Plug the computer into a different circuit that you know is not overloaded and see if that helps.

You are correct in your assumption, there isn't a fan connected so it's reporting the fan as not running.

As for your shut downs, take your tower down to your local garage and thoughly BLOW OUT the internals paying particular attention to the CPU heatsink, the power supply (blow from both directions, and graphics card and North Bridge fans (if it has them)

If you want to carry out a check before hand to establish if overheating is infact the cause of these reboots, then remove the side and point a desktop fan close inside, if your reboots stop you know it's overheating.

If it continues to reboot at the same frequency then look elsewhere.
Either a weak power supply or bad ram

Also check for BAD CAPACITORS, see this site for an explaination:

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back