Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbee2

Technical User
Apr 17, 2001
Runnning XP Pro with Verizon internet fibre optic connection. No operating problems are apparent but I continually get a "Windows System Error" alert,-
"There is an IP conflict with another system on the network". I have run various virus detectors with no improvement.

What is a solution to locating the conflict?

and

How can I generate a list of network IP addresses?

Thanks for any assistance.

I'd first check whether this is an actual Windows XP message rather than a popup trying to masquerade as a Windows message (and is likely to try and sell you some software to try and fix it).
Before getting too technical, you can check the following things:
1. If you hover the mouse over this icon, do you get the IE picture toolbar that lets you save an image? If so, this is a dead giveaway that this is a fake.
You say you've run various virus checkers, I'd also run a good spyware/adware checker over the machine as well.

Another thing to check is does this still happen in safe mode with networking? (normal safe mode doesn't initialise network adapters and TCP/IP).
Press F8 when the coloured dots go across the screen at bootup and choose it from the list to try.

2. Does internet (or general network) connectivity stop after this appears? WinXP will shut down network connectivity if there is a duplicate IP address on the network.

If you have truly identified an IP conflict, go to your network card properties in control panel (start -> settings -> Network and Dialup connections -> right click on your connection -> properties -> network. Click on TCP/IP then click properties.
Ensure that it is set to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server addresses automatically.

If this is the case, open a command prompt, then type
IPCONFIG /RELEASE <RETURN>
IPCONFIG /RENEW <RETURN>

then see if this happens again. If it does, post back for further details.

John

Do you have any errors in your Event Viewer similar to this?

NetBT Event ID 4320 Appears in Event Viewer

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back