Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System does not see new TLZ10-DB tape device

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmanager

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
US
Have DEC Alpha 2000 5/300 running DEC/Osf1 Version 4.0d. I have added a KZPBA-CA scsi interface card (PCI slot) and attached the TLZ10-DB DDS3 tape drive. The system does not see the new devices. I could use some good suggestions on how to include these in the system config, please.

I have verified that both the card and the tape device are supported in this system and on the version of o/s.

Thanks!

Hi
Have you tried using "scu scan edt" and then "scu show edt" to see if there is tape or not?If you see there is TLZ10 you need to create your device file by using MAKEDEV under /dev.

because you have added a new scsi card, you need to do a kernel rebuild, boot from the generic kernel, run a doconfig to allow the system to find and recongise the new hardware...
i.e.
# shutdown -hw now
>>> boot -fi genvmunix
# doconfig
# cp /vmunix /vmunix.{date}
# cp /sys/{system}/vmunix /vmunix
# reboot

now you should see both the new card and TL jukebox...

Thank you for the replies. Had tried the boot with the generic kernel, but it did not help. I had to shutdown and move the new adapter card swapping it with the adapter for the external disk, then boot with the generic kernel and run the doconfig and re-boot. [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back