Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system does not recognize hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmlx

Technical User
Jul 30, 2004
US
I am adding a secondary hard drive to a new machine to verify that the images (pics) on the drive are still there. with an existing hard drive and win2000 installed. When attempting to boot the system now does not recognize either drive. I set the jumpers for the main drive to master and the secondary to slave. Any ideas are appreciated.

I assume the system still boots if only the original master is connected...

Is your IDE cable one of the new ones with three different color ide connectors (usually blue, grey and black)? If so, the blue connector (sometimes also red, yellow, green or orange) goes to the motherboard, the middle connector (usually grey) goes to the slave drive and the end connector (usually black) goes to the master drive. Hooking up the master to the middle connector and the slave to the end connector can screww things up.

If the drives are hooked up correctly, then the bios should identify the drives for you. If the bios does not identify the drives correctly then Windows won't either.

Les Gray

You could also get another cable and hook up the second drive to the Secondary master if your CD drive is not using it. Be sure to reset the drive Jumpers to master if you try this. If it works there and Lesgray's advice didnt help then you have pretty much narrowed it down to a faulty Primary IDE cable.

Yeah, Speedy58 is right. KISS principle. Change the $2 cable first before beating your head bloody against the wall, 'cause you surely will if thats the problem.

Les Gray

..also make sure in your bios that your IDE configurations are set properly.

I had this problem yesterday. The cable was plugged into the drive upside down. It also prevented recognition of the two DVD drives which were connected to the primary EIDE port on the MOBO. Turned the cable over & everything was OK.

..and..just in case you didnt know..the red stripe is supposed to go into pin1 of the connector on the HD (it's usually the closer end to the power connector).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back