Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system console via bayluns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

capkirk

Technical User
Jun 4, 2007
US
we are being told to move our system console to another room.
we do not currently have a twinax cable in that room, and it would be hard to get one there.

it has been suggested to me that we could use a spare phone line that goes into that room. we could connect the console to the 400 then by using bayluns.

is that a good idea?

our only other option is to make a PC the system console, and I have been told that is not a good option either.

connecting the console to the as400 using bayluns worries me, but I need good reasons to give them to not do it, so I appreaciate any suggestions.

Back when I worked with a System 36, I used balums all the time, they are pretty reliable. I do not think you would have a problem. I would check out newer devices, ie CRTs / tube, to see if they had different connection options available.

I remember many years ago when we need to have terminals installed in different offices with no twinax cabling, we used a twinax type hub (sorry don't remember the name) that would use twinax as the main input and Cat-3 cabling (phone lines) as connections. I am sure solutions like this still exist. I would contact companies Perle for possible solutions.
Hope this helps.

yup, you can use baluns and cat3 cabling. Just make sure the polarity is right. IBM has twin-ax tester but I don't remember the model #.

Big gotcha: do not use any twin-ax cabling in the string.

The console should be the first device in the string and don't forget to set it to adr 0. You should have ~2000 or more feet to play with if you have some devices far away.

IBM used to have a 5799 twin-ax hub. you probably won't need one.

Mike Butler
Now former Iseries Guy -> PC's back, SUNs gone Iseries gone- BooHoo
"Never put off 'til tomorrow what you should have done yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back