Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Commander for Multiple OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbie100

Programmer
Aug 29, 2003
GB
I want to install all the following Windows OS on a single machine: 98/98se/Me/NT4/2000/XP. This machine will be used solely for testing software installation and running prior to release.

I have System Commander 7.0, but am not clear about the best way to use it so that all 6 OS are isolated from one another.

Any experience/advice would be appreciated.

You should update that program, the current release is Version 8.0

System commander combines a partition utility and a boot OS selector. It will create up to 4 primary partitions, and up to 100 others as extended partitions.

From the site:
The OS Wizard(tm) makes it easier than ever to prepare your computer for your new Operating System (OS). Simply choose the OS you plan to install and the OS Wizard will set up your system, automatically. If you prefer a more hands on approach you can override the OS Wizard's recommendations.

Without any other tools System Commander 8 safely and automatically prepares your hard drive to accept your new OS while protecting everything already on your computer - data and other OSes. No drivers or resident memory are used, so there are no conflicts with any OS and no performance degradation. When you first install System Commander 8, it automatically detects your existing OSes and includes them in the OS selection by name.
****** end from site

Look too at:
Microsoft Virtual PC -- there is a free 45-day trial

Using advice from this and other threads, I've ended up using BootItNG. If real-time issues were not so critical, I would definitely consider using a virtual environment, possibly VMWare.

Many thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back