Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system clock stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegooddoctor

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
US
can I stop my system clock on my o2 without stoping applications that run for evaluation ?

I'm not familiar with your platform but I can imagine all kinds of reasons why stopping your system clock would cause problems. There are lots of system processes that run in the background (daemons). Many of them go to sleep and wake up at different intervals. They obviously use the system clock to figure out when. Stopping the clock could cause some serious problems I would think.

you *could* arrange things so that each time you booted it would look like the same date - but again, not all applications would cope with that. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

O2s are lovely little things aren't they, but they still need a system clock as do 99.99% of computers, otherwise how would your programs know when to do what ?

Take for example a simple >sleep 10 statement in a shell script. 10 what ? starting when ? Impossible without a system clock !

As for getting round those demo licenses. If you have a genuine need for the software that you are evaluating on IRIX, but don't want to shell out for the full deal you really picked the wrong platform. SGI/IRIX is pricy, always has been always will be. On the up side of that this means that the software vendors can be VERY understanding, if they get a sniff of a significant sale they will most likely give you an evaluation extension (if you ask nicely) Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back