Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System attendance and information store not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin2003

MIS
Jun 19, 2002
US
Hi,

I've 2 win2k server (SP4), one 1 just domain controller and the other is also a domain controller with exchange 2000 on its. This morning I lost the "just domain controller" and the exchange server is my domain controller right now. But, exchange is having problem starting as this point. Is there a way to fix this so exchange can start. I trully appreciated this.

Thanks,

Kevin

Is the DC that your Exchange server on also a GC? If not, make it one.

What do the error logs on your Exchange server indicate?

Obviously, you're aware that Exchange should not be installed on a DC as a best practices step.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Hi Davetoo,

What is GC? and how do I make one? I know the best practices, what why I have 1 machine as DC only but I lost this machine this morning, so I have to switch over to the exchange server as tempory DC until I got this machine back.

Thanks,

I'm confused. Before your domain controller failed, was it the only domain controller in your environment? and when it failed, you then made your Exchange server a DC? How did you recover your AD schema if you did that?

GC is Global Catalog, established via AD Sites and Services NTDS properties of the server.

Davetoo,

Exchange was also the DC in my environment.

Thanks,

Make it a GC as well, and again, what do the logs say on the Exchange server?

Hi Davetoo,

Thank you for all your help, after the exchange server became GC it is working now. When I got my other DC back on line, do I need to make the switch of GC back to the orginal DC?

Thanks,

Kevin

No, you can have, and should have, multiple GC's within your domain.

At least 2 GCs in the org and at least 1 of those should be on the same LAN as the Exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back