Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sysprep Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ITconsultant

Technical User
May 17, 2006
US
Launched Sysprep to experience the creation of an image. I now find upon reboot that the machine opens to a black screen with the text " setting up computer". I did not think that creating an image would interfere with its normal functions. I would ask how I can get it to boot up to the machine before the sysprep image creation. I have all of the boot options:

-Safe Mode
-Safe Mode with Networking
-Command prompt
-Last Known Good Configuration
- Etc

I thought LKGC was the best option but the machine still displays the message " preparing computer"

The last boot up did not offer Last Known Good Configuration

Could any of this have been predicted? My understanding was that a file was to be created only.

This machine is a 2.66Ghz laptop with Vista Ultimat sp2 and 2GB memory. Guidance sought

Much thanks for your timely reply. Regrettably, the article would not be useful. I cannot get back to my operating system nor can I move forward to whatever sysprep was supposed to produce. I am resigned to having to reinstall Vista.

I can get to a command prompt and would ask if there is a way to query a machine for clues/log files on what took place

Is Startup Repair an option. If there is no operating system left to repair then you might have to reinstall it.

Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

Have you tried running Chkdsk out of the Windows environment? If you have an install DVD that you can boot to (or a Startup Repair option via the F8 Safe Mode screen), try launching the Command Prompt from the options provided when you go down the Startup Repair path.

Do not perform the Startup Repair, just look for, and go to the option for the Command Prompt (from the Choose a Recovery Tool dialog), and try running Chkdsk from within that. If the drive you want to check is C: drive the command would be Chkdsk C: /r

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

Using System Restore from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

How to use System Restore to log on to Windows Vista when you lose access to an account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back