Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sysprep Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrous270

Technical User
Jul 27, 2002
US
Our company has a good working image of WinXP Pro with a drivers folder for various models.

We have added a new PC model to the list that we support so when that was done we reorganized the drivers folder elimated duplicate drivers for the same piece of hardware.

So say model_1 and model_2 have the same set drivers

\drivers\model_1\audio
\drivers\model_2\audio

The audio folder for both of these were condensed to 1 folder.

\drivers\audio

The OempnpDriversPath was changed to include the new path to the inf files.

Verified this is working correctly by checking the registry entry, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath

However after I sysprep a PC and bring it down on one of the PCs that was affected by the reorganization of the drivers folder it doesn't install the all of the drivers.

Instead the first time I login after sysprep has run it brings up the add new hardware wizard looking for a "sys" file. The wizard wants me to browse to 1 file used by the driver but already has a path predefined as \drivers\model_1\audio if I point it back to \drivers\audio it finishes the install.

Furthermore if I leave the image on the PC do not do anything with sysprep, uninstall the driver, scan for new hardware changes, it again looks in \drivers\model_1\audio instead of the new location.

I've searched the registry and can't find this path.

I've searched text within files on the hard drive and the only place I can find this old path mentioned is in
\Windows\setupact.log. Messing with this file doesn't fix the problem either.

Can anyone tell me why does it continue to look for the files in the old location when the new location has been defined?

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back