Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SYSPREP 2.0 keeps wiping out my configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyz98

MIS
Jun 20, 2001
US
I am preparing a Windows XP image for cloning other machines, but everytime I run SYSPREP 2.0 it resets all the configurations I have made.
I create a temporary user with admin privileges to the box, configure the desktop, set the default url, and all the other configurations that I want the users to have. Next I log onto the box as local admin and copy the temp user's profile the Default users profile, and set it for everyone's use. I then delete the temp user's profile, and run SYSPREP. I select reseal, and the system runs through the process and shuts down. I procede to create my image, but on restarting the original box, I find that all of the configurations I have made have disappeared. I have even tried using Factory mode, then reseal.
Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong? It will be greatly appreciated.

I logon as the local administrator, then I go to the properties of My Computer, select Advanced, then Profile settings. I select the user profile that I want to copy, then select Copy To, then sellect the Default user. Next I select everyone from the local machine in the permited to use box.

I have been experiencing the EXACT SAME ISSUE!!! But I just spoke with 2 fellows here for Ghost training. I mentioned my issue and I was informed that the Administrator account is the one automatically used by Sysprep and copied to "Default User". This makes sense in retrospect from my experiences. Talk to me off-line and I can elaborate.--vspairs@wesleyan.edu. Here is the biggest catch. You need to remane the "Administrator" account to anything else. Then it works. I am in the midst of testing this hypothosis. I will post more when I confirm the facts.

It's True! I happened to find a Microsoft document (sorry, I don't have the URL) about SysPrep and it turns out that the program which runs on first boot (Welcome, maybe?) copies the "Administrator" (or "Owner" for HP Home) Profile OVER "Default User" - wiping out all the work we put into setting it up...

So the trick is to either setup the box as Administrator in the first place (many of us loathe that idea) or to copy the final product (test profile) to Administrator when you're happy with it.

Another recommendation - copy the Administrator Profile somewhere safe first...

Another caveat - Micro$oft changed the Sysprep package between XP-SP1 & XP-SP2, so be sure to use the right version.

Seumas
Martinez, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back