Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

syslogd startup error

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrywashington

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
Syslogd will not run on my system. The following message is displayed during bootup.

syslogd
symlink to doorfile failed
:file exists

This sounds like a symbolic link is broken somewhere but I am not sure where to look. The syslogd startup script in /etc/rc2.d does not provide any clues. has anyne ever seen this before?

When I start syslogd manually via the startup script no errors are generated. It just doesn't start and no system entries are logged to /var/adm/messages.

There is syslog information written to /var/log/syslog* ,have a look here, also check the man pages for syslog.conf (/etc)

syslog appears to start via /etc/rc2.d/S74syslog and should look as follows: -

#!/bin/sh
#
# Copyright (c) 1991, by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
#
#ident "@(#)syslog 1.7 96/10/02 SMI"

case "$1" in
'start')
if [ -f /etc/syslog.conf -a -f /usr/sbin/syslogd ]; then
echo "syslog service starting."
if [ ! -f /var/adm/messages ]
then
cp /dev/null /var/adm/messages
fi
/usr/sbin/syslogd 1>/dev/console 2>&1
fi
;;
'stop')
[ ! -f /etc/syslog.pid ] && exit 0
syspid=`cat /etc/syslog.pid`
if [ "$syspid" -gt 0 ]; then
echo "Stopping the syslog service."
kill -15 $syspid 2>&1 | /usr/bin/grep -v "no such process"
fi
;;
esac
exit 0

Edit the /etc/init.d/syslog script to remove the file prior to starting syslogd door file is link in /etc:

.syslog_door -> ../var/run/syslog_door

Regards.

Carlos Almeida,

Thanks Carlos that was the info that I was looking for. I recreated the symbolic link between /etc/.syslog_door and /var/run/syslog_door and syslogd now runs on my system.

YOu could also use truss to see where the error occurs..

SoleBlazer,
You mentioned using truss to see where errors occurs, what exactly does the command truss do?

Thanks

truss shows all the system calls so you can trace where syslogd fails...So:
truss <path>/syslogd

We had a similar problem with the one described by Carlos and using truss we were able to solve it within 2 minutes...
Regds,
SeSe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back