Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

syslog

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIXtexas

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
I'm trying to turn on syslog on all my AIX servers. I got the below example out of a book. I want to write all output to a file called /tmp/syslog.out. I restarted the inetd daemon like I was supposed to and its gathering data. Is there anything I missed as far as items to monitor? Or do the below entries pretty much cover everything?

mail.debug /tmp/syslog.out
mail.none /tmp/syslog.out
auth.notice /tmp/syslog.out
lpr.debug /tmp/syslog.out
kern.debug /tmp/syslog.out
*.emerg;*.alert;*.crit;*.warning;*.err;*.notice;*.info /tmp/syslog.out

Thanks,

Shane Burkhart

Have you created an empty file in /tmp/syslog.out? Also you need to refresh/restart the syslogd daemon...
Best Regards
HTT

Yes, I created the empty file and restarted the daemon and it's collecting data as it should. I was just wondering if the entries I have in the syslog.conf file were sufficient to capture any and all errors.

Just a thought:

Depending on your email traffic volume, you might and up with a fast growing file and possible full /tmp. You might want to keep an eye on that.

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks. I think I'll end up moving the output dir to a FS with more space.

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back