Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SYS(602,0) or BITMAP OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreateh

Programmer
Jul 19, 2003
SG
From VFP Document :

SYS(602) - Bitmap Configuration
However, off-screen bitmaps use a lot of memory, so you can improve performance on Terminal Server applications by turning these bitmaps off using SYS(602).
Code:
SYS(602,1) &&(Default)

Is this mean by default VFP application will take up lot memory in Terminal Server ? But After i switch it off [SYS(602,0)] I can't seen any different when running my program from terminal server. And some of my program that require refresh frequently will flicking very often. Does any one face this problem before ?

andreateh

I'm not sure if you understand the use of sys(602). This function will only return the status of SET BITMAP . If the return value is 0 the BITMAP map setting is off, if its 1 the bitmap is on. In order to change the bitmap setting you need to add a line to your config file (.fpw)
BITMAP = OFF

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

From VFP document :

SYS(602) - Bitmap Configuration

Returns the current setting of the bitmap in the current configuration file and turns off-screen bitmaps off or on at run time.

SYS(602 [, 0 | 1 ])
Parameters
Turns off off-screen bitmaps at run time.
Turns on off-screen bitmaps at run time.

So i try SYS(602,0) in my form in LOAD Event for testing purpose. But I can't see the different.

I also have try to set the configuration in the config.fpw
BITMAP OFF but no different.

Sorry, since you hadn't mentionned what version of VFP you were using, I went to the VFP7.0 help and noticed that SYS(602) only returned the setting of BITMAP whereas in VFP8.0 the function allows you to toggle the BITMAP settings between on or off. I've always found that leaving BITMAP = ON causes less problem than BITMAP, because in BITMAP OFF, as the help file states
However, be aware that toggling off-screen bitmaps can affect your application. For example, form controls can appear normal, however, writing directly to a form using a method such as Line requires off-screen bitmaps to be turned on.

So rather then toggling back and forth, I chose to leave it on.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back