Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

synthetic backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

nguytom

Technical User
Jun 13, 2007
US
in thread776-1474389, dukbtr (MIS) said:

We are testing synthetic backups on a server. We have the full/diff incremental/ and synthetic full in the schedule. We have TIR checked with move detection. My question is, should the incrementals be larger in size than our previously non TIR'd backups. Last night the incremental was at 14gig before being killed. It has normally been at around 950mb. Is this normal, does the TIR info take up space on the tape also, meaning does netbackup backup a moved dir/file to tape since it has a new path, could this account for the larger size.

Help me Obi-Wan or Stumpr, your my only hope.

Thx,

dukbtr

Thank dukbtr
for this valuable post!

Postdukbtr (MIS) said

Found my answer, looks as though its a feature(bug) of MP4 and lower.

Details:
Overview:
Incremental True Image Restore (TIR) backups run as Full backups on every folder except the first folder listed in the policy. This occurs when the "Collect true image restore information" and "Move Detection" settings are enabled in the policy. (Figure 1) The backup sections in the policy may include Universal Naming Convention (UNC) paths or regular directories in the Backup Selections tab.

If both of these settings are enabled, then incremental backups will back up the same amount of data as a full backup for all except the first backup selection listed in the policy. This problem has been seen on Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.0 GA through NetBackup 6.0 Maintenance Pack 4 (MP4) releases on Windows clients only. This issue does not apply to UNIX systems. This issue affects both backups of local file systems as well as UNC paths.

Does it affect to NBU 6.5? Thanks.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back