Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Syntax when setting up an Event 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessebo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2001
US
When scheduling to the Unmanaged disk location I had to use syntax like the following: //rhino/purchasing/purchasing_shared/mrp tools/reports/buyers/kh/, not the typical backslash notation.

When setting up a file-based event in Manage Events in the CMC do I have to use the same syntax for the filename? The reason I ask is that I'm having a problem with the file being recognized and the report kicking off when I scheduled it with Events. Can someone forward along just the string that you use in the Filename text box in the Event screen in the CMC when you are setting up a new event. My EventServer is enabled and running.

The example I have in the text from the Administering Users and Content class is:
Type the absolute path to the file that the Event Server should look for (for example, C:\folder\filename, or /hom/folder/filename). The drive and directory that you specify must be visible to the Event Server. Ideally, the directory should be on a local drive.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

The most common reason for event issues is that the account running the Event Server does not have access to where it should be looking for the event trigger file. Check this out first.

ShortyA

The Crystal Event server runs under the Local System account so I would assume that any directory on the server should be accessible by the Local System account...

An example string for the filename would be :

//myserver101/folder1/longdirname~1/trigger.txt

Thanks ShortyA. So it looks like you are using the forward slashes. Should I place the trigger file in the location after I set up the report that looks for the file? What I've been doing it placing the file in the location then scheduling it with event. I would assume that it would run right off the bat but it does not. I'm thinking that I have to put the file in the location after the report has already been set up. Any help?

For event-based scheduling to work the file has to appear.
EG:
If I have a report called "Demo" that is set to run @06:00 and checks for my event called "ShortyA" that looks for a file called "Trigger.txt" below is what would happen.
At 06:00 the "Demo" report gets ready to run but the event has not been triggered so it waits.
@ 06:01 my file called "Trigger.SHO" is renamed to "Trigger.txt" which is the file-based event. The Event server will notice this and show the event as occuring. The "Demo" report will then run as it has been waiting for this. I then schedule the "Trigger.txt" file to be renamed to "Trigger.SHO" @ 06:02 as an event only occurs when the file is found so if it is always present it won't trigger an event.
Hope this helps.
ShortyA

Thanks ShortyA. I think what happened with me is that I had the file out there already before I even scheduled the report. I was also going to do the same thing. Perform a rename of the file. Just for information. What do you use to perform the rename? Do you use the Microsoft Scheduler or do you create a SQLServer job and use a stored procedure with the xp_cmdshell routine within it? Just wondering..

Thanks,
Bessebo

Personally I use the AT command on the server so the equivalent would be MS Scheduler. This is down to your system administrator for the server to decide on to ensure that it complies with their protocols on scheduled tasks.

Glad it is all sorted!

ShortyA

Still not sure if it is all sorted as I haven't test it out yet. I'll let ya know...Thanks again...

ShortyA,
Just wanted to let you know that I tested it out and it works fine! I first put a file called testevent.old in a folder, scheduled a report with events (after having set up a file-based event where the file was testevent.txt) to run at 9:05. At 9:06 I renamed the file to testevent.txt and checked it and it was running. So my problem was that I put the file testevent.txt in the folder ahead of time and was expecting it to run because it was there. But I guess the report has to be looking for the file before it is put in there. Makes sense and thanks for your help. This opens up a whole lot of possibilities for me and for alerting users of information within the database.

Regards,
Bessebo

Good news! Events are very handy for scheduling streams of reports, notifying users of report batch completions and pushing out triggers to other systems. If you haven't done so already consider using the "Notification" options if you want to let users know when their report has finished. Accessible via the CMC.

Enjoy.

ShortyA

Are you talking about Alert Notification? I noticed that if I go into Manage Objects and look at a specific report that it is greyed out. Is this what you are referring to? I have not explored Notification. Can you elaborate?

On Crystal Report Server XI for each object there is an option next to the "Alert Notification" called "Notification". An email can be sent on a successful or failed report run. Hand for administering large batches. I believe it was available on earlier versions but can't remember whether it was limited to Premium, Professional or standard.

OK Thanks. I will look into it. We do have the Premium version of CE9 but will be upgrading soon to XI.

Thanks,
Bessebo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back