Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Syntax for Subquery

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJman

Technical User
May 8, 2003
IN

I'm using the make-table query below but I only want it to give me one record for each Student_ID (alias for dbo_corr.from_descr), where it has the maximum dbo_corr.entry_date value. I know I need a HAVING clause with a sub-select statement, but don't know the syntax to do this. Help!

SELECT DateDiff("m",[entry_date],Date()) AS MonthsSinceLastLetter, dbo_corr.entry_date, dbo_corr.from_descr AS Student_ID INTO tempFinalLetters
FROM dbo_corr INNER JOIN dbo_corr_type ON dbo_corr.corr_type_id = dbo_corr_type.corr_type_id
WHERE (((dbo_corr.corr_type_id)=1) AND ((Mid([from_descr],3,3))="980"))
GROUP BY DateDiff("m",[entry_date],Date()), dbo_corr.entry_date, dbo_corr.from_descr;

Make a separate query that has the student ID and the MAX entry date and then join to this query.

SELECT Student_ID, Max(dbo_corr.entry_date) as MaxEntryDate FROM dbo_corr
Group by Student_ID

save the query for example qryStudentMaxDate

Ok, I'll give this a shot. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go this route if I could avoid it, only because the table has almost 10 million rows and even optimized queries take quite a while to run, especially since this is only one of two nested queries.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back