Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Syntax error in TextHeader of StoredProcedure? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooser

Technical User
Jun 28, 2006
US
OH NO!

I just tried to script out my stored procedure that I've been working on to continue work on it. I got this error message:

Code:
TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Script failed for StoredProcedure 'dbo.RiskCheckOut'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: [URL unfurl="true"]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0+((Katmai_PCU_Main).090329-1015+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Script+StoredProcedure&LinkId=20476[/URL]

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Syntax error in TextHeader of StoredProcedure 'RiskCheckOut'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: [URL unfurl="true"]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0+((Katmai_PCU_Main).090329-1015+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&LinkId=20476[/URL]

BUTTONS:

OK

Please help! I'll lose a week of work if I can't figure this out.

Thank you,
v/r
Gooser

What happens when you run this?

Select object_definition(Object_ID('RiskCheckOut'))

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

George--

When I run that, I get this:

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------

/*

print 1
select * from risk
print 2
DECLARE @RiskToCheckOut int
print 3
SET @RiskToCheckOut = (SELECT TOP 1 RiskID FROM Risk ORDER BY RiskID Desc)
print 4
EXEC PropertyFacts.dbo.RiskCheckOut
     @RiskToCheckOut   --@OldRiskID
   , 'dbo-Tes

(1 row(s) affected)

Thanks,
v/r
Gooser

p.s. - What should I get?

If that doesn't work...

Code:
Select Text
From   syscomments
Where  Id = Object_ID('RiskCheckOut')
Order By ColId

As I was looking around, it appears that this problem may be caused by having nested comments in the header.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

p.s. - What should I get?

Ideally, you would get the code for the stored procedure.

-George

George,

I ran that second piece you posted, but it just gives me chunks of my stored procedure back, starting with a commented-out section that was at the top.

...confused...

Thank you,
v/r
Gooser

v/r

Gooser

Why do today
that which may not need to be done tomorrow [ponder] --me

The Bailout We Need

...Sorry - Stupid SIGNATURE!...

It didn't return the whole thing? That's weird. It could be that you need to switch to text mode in order to see the whole thing.

click Tools -> options
expand "Query Results"
expand "SQL server"
Click General
Set "Default destination for results" to "Results to text"

The syscomments table is a system table that stores all of your code. The TEXT column is an nvarchar(4000) column. So, if your code is longer than 4000 characters, it will come out in multiple rows (which explains why I put ORDER BY COLID).

Hope this helps.

-George

I tried that too, it is still just chunks of it, not the whole thing.

Each row has part missing. They just pick up randomly along a line of code and drop off randomly a few lines later. This procedure was quite long and most of it is not there.

Thank you so much for your excellent help as usual, George. Any further ideas?

Last thing I can think of...

click Tools -> options
expand "Query Results"
expand "SQL server"
Click "Results To Text"
Change "Maximum number of characters displayed in each column" to 8000.

-George

George-

That didn't do it either. It's starting to look like I will have to re-write most of it. [sobbing]

Thanks for your help!

v/r
Gooser

George-

Again, I cannot thank you enough for your insightful help.

Unfortunately the Stored Procedure was corrupted beyond repair. Though I was eventually able to restore a ShadowCopy version of the database file from early yesterday morning and the Stored Procedure was still in that version. WHEW!

Lessons Learned
[li]BACKUP--even your dev box.[/li]
[li]No nested comments. in your Stored Procedure Headers. (Who would've thunk?)[/li]
[li]ShadowCopy can be a lifesaver![/li]
[li]Couldn't attach ShadowCopy version of db in DATA directory, got a weird 'File is Read-Only' error.[/li]
[li]No error message when .mdf was attached in a different directory(?)[/li]
[li]When in doubt, ask George.[/li]
[li]backup, BackUp, BACKUP![/li]
[li]Did I mention Backup?[/li]

Thanks again, George.

v/r
Gooser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back