Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Syntax cannot be this hard. Basic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thendrickson

Programmer
Apr 14, 2004
US
Hope I do not sound like an idiot but I do not seem to be finding what I need.

I created a view in a 7.31 Informix database to summararize
certain columns.

I now need to select the data from that view using a where clause.

Select * from vifxView where scode = 'ABC-123'

I need to create a procedure that receives the input and returns in the close vicinity of 359 records (or fewer)

I need to call this from SQL server using a linked server.

Performance is horrible enough so joining to the view from within SQL is not a good option. Nor is selecting from the Informix view and filling a SQL Server temp table

I need to return only the records meeting the where clause.

Very simple in SQL Server (perhaps because I have used that extensively), but I am missing a basic concept with Informix I am afraid

hi,

do you ask for a sql-server procedure or for an informix-procedure?

in informix you could do something like that:

Code:
create procedure myproc()
returning varchar(255);

DEFINE myval varchar(255);

FOREACH
  select field1
    into myval
    from myview
   where <someconditions>  <<<<<<no semicolon here !!!>

return myval WITH RESUME;

END FOREACH;

end procedure;

To call this in informix you would do:

Code:
execute procedure myproc();

But when you use odbc to call this procedure from external you will probably get "procedure returns too many values".

I am not familiar with sql-server, so i don't know what that would look like there.

Hope this helps.

I meant Informix. Sorry for any confusion.

I am a SQL server developer with good DBA skills, but Informix is stopping me dead.

I just am not finding the basics to build from.

I need to return multiple records into SQL server so I can join the sums of some fields in Informix to the employee/site/customer tables in SQL.

However, the problem is moot since I just found out the report I needed this procedure for is never used.

I will experiment with your example as soon as I fix my current "crisis" and post again.

Can you reccomend a good basic book for Informix? Something Like "Learn Informix in 4.7 minutes"? :)

Some place to start so I can ask a reasonable question?

maybe you should download a trial version from ibm and have a look into the included docs, they are very good.

I have looked around but couldnt find any docs for 7.31, but you should be fine even with the v10-docs, as long as you don't dive in too deep :)

if i can be of further help, just drop a thread here.

Thanks

I have found some information on 7.3 and am working on it.

I think I did find a solution to my (now moot) origional problem.

Yout answer was a big help if I understand correctly that I can declare the return value as a table

Yes, informix can return multiple values and rows (WITH RESUME) from a single procedure-call, but this is an extension to the ANSI-Standard and can cause problems when you leave native informix-environment. So possibly you cannot use that, if you connect from 3rd-party apps.

Thank you for your help.

I am swamped here with additional work, but will try to experiment a bit with this once I finish what must be done today.

Informix is a bit "unusual" in my eyes, but interesting. I was just hired for this position after several years contracting and the Informix is a legacy system that none of the current developers understand but which we cannot change right now without breaking a very important application

I do not quite understand why, but it seems I always get the work no one else knows anything about , so they give it to me.

At least I am not bored, but you will probably see me back with more 'dumb' questions :)

Again thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back