Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SyncToy - Can I trust it 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Just wanted to see what people say about using SyncToy to synchronize MyDocuments folder on two computers. My customer is a lawyer and he has foolishly used two computers over the years to do his legal documents and now there are versions of files on both computers plus files unique to both computers. Every combination possible of file/folder differences between computers.

Can I trust the SyncToy Synchronize mode to work as advertised to get all files on both PCs? Don't want to get sued.
I know - create a backup of each folder first for CYA. I can hear that now.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Lawyer doesn't want his information in the cloud. He is still clinging to Windows 7, so that kind of explains his mindset.

Same idea but why would I use a non-Microsoft product if the other works. And that is ultimately my question - do either/both work as advertised?

SyncBack works. However, I had to quit doing updates as they started pushing adverts in their programs. I've been using an older version that doesn't have them. I don't know how bad they are in the newest version.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

See - that's why I would choose the Microsoft product over a third party "free" tool because they can't resist bundling other programs or install crap-ware or foist advertising on you.

I am using SyncBackPro/SE/Free V7.6.74.0 and there are no adverts or reminders asking you to buy. The software works very well and I have used it for many years with no problems. Not sure this helps goombawaho but it is my suggestion.

I have had zero advertisements from Syncback, and I've used it in multiple instances on at least: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10 both at my home, other homes, and at work. The free version is legally free even for commercial use. The other versions have added features.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

So maybe other poster has malware!!!

As to Microsoft's SyncToy, Had it malfunction way too many times, I gave up and use other products.
Have FreeFileSync on a number of machines, it has a tendency to download with PUPs,works no issues.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Well, not very optimistic and today is install day. So, maybe I'll just let him suffer with the mess he has made vs. trying to straighten things up for him a the risk of me installing something that COULD go wrong. His mess only hurts him, but if it's me messing up his stuff, then I'll be on the line.

backup each folder on the 2 machines, then run one of the sync programs. If it works your fine. If it doesn't then you have lost nothing. Win/Win

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Yeah, so that's what I did. Two backups and then used the SyncBack Free. Seemed to work but it was still in progress as I left. Haven't heard that I'm going to be sued............... yet. It was going to copy 2GB one way and 3GB the other way.

I was smart enough to exclude the file types of *.PST and *.OST to avoid any crazy Outlook syncing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back