Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronizing server times? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDTampaBay

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
US
I am using sp_post_msx_operation to synchronize the time on my servers, but I am having problems. One server syncs just fine, but the other gives this error message:
Code:
The specified @specific_target_server ('WRLive') does not exist.

Both of the target servers are configured the same as far as I know. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I might fix it?
--Angel [rainbow]
-----------------------------------
Every time I lose my mind, I wonder
if it's really worth finding.

Are the servers all members of the windows domain ? More, is the DNS setup correct for the failing server ? ________________________________________________________________________________
If you do not like change, get out of the IT business...

WRLive is a linked server and a remote server, but not a target server.

I understand that stored procedures can be executed against a remote or a linked server, but distributed queries can be executed against linked servers only (BOL: Configuring Remote Servers) - making linked servers the better choice.

So how are target servers different than linked or remote servers?
--Angel [rainbow]

Angel,

Target servers are used in multiserver administration. "Multiserver administration is the process of automating administration across multiple instances of Microsoft® SQL Server™." See "Multiserver Administration" in SQL BOL for more details.

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and thread183-468158.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Thanks, Terry. I read BOL and the biggest distinction is that targets are used for scheduled jobs, not queries or stored procedures. Now I think I've got it.
--Angel [rainbow]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back