Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronizing merge replication using floppy disks or flash disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndaru

Programmer
Oct 23, 2001
ID
Hi,

I've been successfully (at home) set up a merge replication, i.e.
1. set up a publisher,
2. create publications,
3. set up subscribers,
4. set up subscriptions,
5. initialize subscriptions with snapshots
6. synchronize publisher and subscribers

But in order to do step 3, 4, 5 and 6 successfully, I'm required to establish a connection between the publisher and subscribers (through LAN, internet, whatever).

The problem at my client is, there is no connection at all between the would-be publisher and the would-be subscribers, which reside on different towns. All previous data transfers was conducted using floppy disks or flash disks.

My question: is there a way to do step 3, 4, 5 and 6 without *ever* establishing a connection between the publisher and subscribers, using only floppy disks or flash disks?

Ahh, what's your plan for doing subsequent merges? If you never plan for the servers to hook-up (as my daughter would say), then you shouldn't be using replication. If one location is read only, then backup and restore is the way to go, but it sounds crazy that you can't at least use an analog line.
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Well, seems like in this part of the world some people still find it too expensive to transfer considerable amount of data through the jolly-olde telephone line. Just trying to give my dear client more options, man. :)

And for your suggestion, sorry, both servers are for read and write. In the old days, I'll manually transfer them using MS Access. The tranfer plan ranges from simple to tedious. And it worked.

If there is simply no way for offline replication synchronization, I guess I'll try to persuade the dear client to transfer the data via phone lines.

But until then, please tell me if offline sinchronization is still possible using merge replication?

Thanks a bunch.

You want data to be transfered both ways, so I'd say the chances of it working are slim to nill. But, I'm not a replication expert. You might try this forum. forum962
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back