Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronizing merge replication using floppy disks or flash disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndaru

Programmer
Oct 23, 2001
ID
Hi,

I've been successfully (at home) set up a merge replication, i.e.
1. set up a publisher,
2. create publications,
3. set up subscribers,
4. set up subscriptions,
5. initialize subscriptions with snapshots
6. synchronize publisher and subscribers

But in order to do step 3, 4, 5 and 6 successfully, I'm required to establish a connection between the publisher and subscribers (through LAN, internet, whatever).

The problem at my client is, there is no connection at all between the would-be publisher and the would-be subscribers, which reside on different towns. All previous data transfers was conducted using floppy disks or flash disks.

My question: is there a way to do step 3, 4, 5 and 6 without *ever* establishing a connection between the publisher and subscribers, using only floppy disks or flash disks?

ndaru,
Beleive it or not, your there third person that I can remember asking this question. Most reciently I came up with this solution thread669-838236.

The basic idea is this.
You have office A and office B and they have no network connection between them.
You setup the sql server at office A as the transactional publisher. You purchase a laptop and make it a subscriber. You then drive to office B with the laptop, and set it up the database that is replicated to it as a new publication, and setup the SQL Server at Office B as it's subscriber.

When setting up the publication at office A have the job run at the publisher. When setting up the publication at office B have the job run at the subscriber. Set both jobs to run every say 15 minutes. This was they will check for the laptop every 15 minutes. When the laptop is there they will replication, when the laptop isn't there they will fail to see the laptop and not replicate.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back