Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

synchronizes the PDC with the two DC servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobil

Technical User
Aug 9, 2003
AG
Hi all.
I am having a problem.
I have one PDC and two DC on my network for some reason the raid on the PDC go bad i rebuild it as the PDC.
My question is it synchronizes the PDC with the two DC servers?
And how can i get back all the user account back?

Thanks in advance

There are no PDC/BDC roles in Windows 2000...please explain.. do you have NT 4.0 PDC?

All DC's can replicate with one another...so they are called DC's. There is a PDC emulator FSMO role in Windows 2000. Is this what you are referring to...?

If you lose a DC, you can restore it in several different way (authoritative restore, non-authoritative restore, etc.) But you must rebuild by restoring using one of these options.

If you simply built a new machines, you run DCPROMO to join the server to the domain as a additional domain controller of the existing domain. However, you still would need to get rid of the failed DC in Active Directory (else AD would continue to try to replicate data to the dead server...you can get rid of a DC, but you need to use non GUI utilities).

Please explain more, maybe we can help.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Hi Joseph,
Sorry about that since i am from the old school i always refer to the top domain as PDC.
Yes there were two DC controllers and as i stated one go bad.
See the problem that i am having is that the other DC is running my exchange server and some of the service not working because they can’t find the other DC.
Know that i rebuild the other DC the present one still net seeing it.
What do i need to do to synchronize the two controllers?

Know that i rebuild the other DC the present one still net seeing it." Explain how you re-built the DC?

You can't just build a new DC. You have to RESTORE the DC from tape. If you RESTORE the DC from tape, you will be in good shape. A non-authoritative restore will get your DC back and synchronization will automatically start to happen.

If you just built a NEW DC, you will continue to have problems. You need to delete entries out of your Active Directory database manually. This article will show you the steps involved in deleting the DC out of AD: (However, you may either want to hire a consultant or call Microsoft for additional help)

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back