Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronize two folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

joopa

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
US
I want to do an hourly update of a folder with another. It's not a real synchronization since it is one way.

I tried to do a backup of the whole folder, but it won't work since there is several GBs stored. Then I tried to first make a list of the filenames in both folders and copy the missing, but the problem is the updated files retain their name.

Anyone with an easy suggestion? There are software out there doing this but I need to build this into an application.

Thanks,
Joopa

You should be able to store the last copy time for the source folder, and do as John suggests, compare the modified time to determine which files to move over.

I would do this in two steps -- identify the files which need to be copied (this should be as fast as you can make it), and then start copying (which needs to complete in less than 1 hour).

If you can't complete the copy in less than an hour, you've got a problem..

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back