Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronize Office files between two offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

kescor

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
US
I have a remote office with no fileserver. We have been depending on utilizing PCAnywhere File Transfer facility to synchronize files (total file size to be less than 500MB, daily change rate to be less than 10MB).

PCAnywhere has been difficult as of late, first, when it runs it takes almost an hour to complete. Most of the time, the we experience host video issues in which the screen never completes painting (this is after the login process). Needless to say, it did the trick when it worked. We are running version 11. We had this video problem since version 8 and we keep buying later versions hoping it would be corrected.

I started to look for utilities to synchronize files (changes can occur either place).

I was checking out foldershare. Anyone using a p2p product like this? What would a good design be here?

Thanks for the suggestions.

A couple possible solutions:

Use a File Server at the main office and enable Offline Folders (2000 or XP):
Or you could script the syncing with a logoff or scheduled script using the Robocopy utility (or simple batch commands), robocopy can be found in the resource kit tools:

You may want to use VPN to synchronize the data. This case study may help,

Synchronize data automatically via VPN
Case Study - Synchronizing data automatically via VPN. Situation: The client is using the pcAnywhere to synchronize the data between two servers ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Will robocopy synchronize files which are changing and both sides, or do I need to perform xcopy's /d 's both ways. PCAnywhere will move the delta's in both directions.

I can't find any case studies or documentation on robocopy which supports this.

Oh, right. Robocopy won't copy in both directions, at least not without some serious gymnastics in your scripts, which becomes risky pretty quick. Offline Files/Folders would still seem to be an option, though.

I don't think offline folders will work as the machines are not logging into the domain server.

I'm guessing I need to write a script which will connect to the servers fileshare with credentials, synchronize the files, and disconnect.

I'm evaluating syncEXP as it can be scheduled and run overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back