Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronization software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
So, I have a folder that exists on my desktop PC, my laptop, and my Linux media center (running samba)

I'm looking to sync those folders (it's full of music, and I'm constantly re-organizing, editing MP3 tags, etc.)

What I'd like to be able to do is make a change on my desktop PC, and have it sync to the laptop (when it's on the wireless), and to the linux box. I do *NOT* want "cloud based". I'm on a metered internet connection, and I don't want to upload 150 gb to the cloud.

Any thoughts about how I can accomplish this? (Since the linux box is running samba, I could possibly mount it as a network share and sync from my desktop PC, so if the software allowed for that, I wouldn't need a linux client to sync the linux box).

Thanks in advance!

(p.s.... cheap is good, free is better... :D )

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Hey Greg,
I have a similar issue, and have been using GoodSync with outstanding performance for about 18 months now. I am even able to sync my playlist from my PC to my Android phone with it, which is great because if I delete a song on the playlist on the phone, it will remove it from the drive too. GoodSync allows for both "Backup" (one way) or "Sync" which is also handy. I Sync a Surface to a main workstation, that workstation is Synced to another backup server in the same room, and it also allows for remote connection via SFTP (as well as others), to a NAS that I have offsite in another country, and syncs at reasonable speed there too. (I just backup data that is impossible to get back).
It's not terribly expensive, I think $39 for the software, which gets you constant updates, and it can be move from one PC to another (good part is, just one machine needs the software, which means one license, no other devices need licensing), so maybe that fist your "cheap" bill? (At worst it's $59, I really don't recall as I bought it more than a year ago). It has proved to be pretty amazing, and 100% reliable. You can trial it for 30 days as well, so no need to buy if you don't like it. I rarely do these types of things, but this one was so impressive, it did exactly what I want, and has continued to surprise me with how powerful it is.
And please note, I'm not associated with them in any way, shape or form, it's just a bloody good product.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

I ended up using this one:

It has both windows and linux clients, and I had it set up in about 20 minutes, and finished syncing within 30.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Ok then. GoodSync also supports Linux, Windows, Apple, Android, IoS... but happy you got a solution.
Cost?

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Free / Open Source

Just my $.02

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back