Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronization - MSysAccessStorage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vittles

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
US
I had a database code corruption occur today and I am just wondering if anyone else has had a similar occurance and or knows of a better way to fix it.

I have a multiuser database that is replicated (I haven't had to split it yet and since it is a short term database I am not looking at doing so).

When I went to synchronize it this morning, it worked except that there were about 8 conflicts all related to the MSysAccessStorage system table. The end result was that my forms would not open and the VBA window would open. All of my coding was still there, but the database would not read it (File not found error). From what I can tell this occurred due to me synchronizing the databases while a user was in the replica. The only solution that I found was to create a new database and import the guts of the corrupted database in.

Has anyone else come across this and if so, have you found any other solution after it occurs?

I've started recently with multi-user databases, and I've found many problems using the replication tool. It was designed for data only, not for forms, queries etc. Although at first it does work, you will begin to run into errors and annoying querky corruptions.

Even if it is a short term DB, I'd recommend splitting it. My opinion now is that any multiuser DB should be split. It is very simple to do using the Tools-Database utilities-Database splitter, just make a copy of the current DB before you do it.

As for a solution after what you describe occurs above - No suggestions.

-Phil-

Thanks for responding Phil. I have been fairly successful with replicated databases in the past, so I am hoping that this is a workable situation for this one as well. This database had design changes and/or new reports created on a daily/weekly basis, so having it replicated (or at least the front end) makes those design updates easier.

Just as an information tidbit - I have found that all users must have the same version of access or more issues occur. Most of the staff are using 2003, but one person had 2002. That one difference caused both update and replication synchronization issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back