Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronise NT domain accounts with Windows Active dirctory accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc559966

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
GB
Does anyone know an easy way to synchronise accounts for NT and Windows 2000 (different dommains). We have a windows 2000 network, however, we must retain an NT server due to an old application version. Currently, we have to manually type in users passwords on both W2K and NT4 so that drives map and permissions are allowed. There are seperate software packages that do this for you, however, they can be costly. Surely, Microsoft have their own tool for doing such a simple task?

Can you or have you created a trust relationship betweeen the domains?

yes. A trust relationship exists between domains. Another point is that one of our NT servers shares the same domain name as a windows 2000 FQDN.

You should be able to grant permissions to files and folder for users in domain 1 to objects domain 2 and vice versa if you have a two way trust. Doing so should eliminate the need to type in a password.

I should have explained that the reason for this is to do with SQL7 and an old application that won't work on Windows 2000. Obviously, SQL7 only recognises NT accounts so I need to replicate all NT accounts with 2000 accounts

Here is a product that may help. PasswordSync from Winzero. PasswordSync allows administrators to successfully and securely copy passwords, migrate passwords or synchronize passwords between user accounts in any valid Windows NT4 / Windows 2000 / Windows 2003 domains in real time or schedule synchronization at a predefined time. An ideal secure password copy for domain migrations or password maintenance of multiple user accounts in different domains. I found this on a website called in the "Misc Netwrok Security tool" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back