Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

synchro replicated db & FrontEnd

Status
Not open for further replies.

rproactive

Technical User
Oct 6, 2005
US
hello everyone-
How does one go about synchronizing replicated databases on a Virtual Private Network (VPN). I have a master/ server computer connected to 3 off site computers with replicated databases. The Db has a front end and a back end.
In similar fashion how do yoiu go about getting a prototype FE to update the active db.

thanks for any suggestions

There were no responses to this “simple” issue so after a great deal of research and connecting the dots I wanted to let the next novice get a head start. First you must realize that the microsoft documenation is not to be trusted it is just plain wrong on some topics. I have spent days going down wrong roads finally finding that the indicated approach would not work in my application or for my version of Access 2003. This is frustating for a beginner since you can never be sure if the problem is your own ignorance or that of microsoft.

As it turns out this is not simply a command from a menu in access. Indirect syncronizaton can NOT be done in Access 2003 at all (there are work arounds). You can do direct synchronizations but these are useless for VPN internet set ups.

Replication Manager 4.0 as refered to in Microsoft help and numerous on line / forum discussions is also NOT avialable in Access standard edition. You can get it in Access Developers edition or In Office Developers Edition ($600 plus). But even if you have it, it will not work with Access 2003! I’am not sure about access 2000 but it is possible to use it if you roll back to Access 95 or earlier. There are fortunetly work arounds but they are not simple.

One should understand that conflicts in synchronization will arise and the user at both ends will be required to make some decsions. This may be an issue if you are planning to deploy to “dumb” users. This is obvious (to those experienced) but could be a show stopper.

There is a great deal of informatin on this topic check this one out :

I can not yet claim success so view this as a work in progress. I hope my comments may help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back