Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sync (unix)samba users with windows users

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkape

MIS
Mar 22, 2001
US
I just installed samba on a sun machine running solaris 6.
I was able to share out the directories on the sun machine ok and can map windows drive letters to the samba shares. The Samba machine is not a PDC

What I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the unix file permissions match the windows permissions. For example, if I am logged on to a windows machine as user1 and I access a file in my home area on the samba share that I have write permissions in unix, the file shows as read only in windows. Can I make the two systems see user1 as the same user in windows and unix(samba)

Are you sure the "Samba user" has write permissions to this directory? Are there any other Samba users that have read only permissions in this directory - like guest? I suspect you will find that your Samba user is not who you think it is - check the logs. The samba user is not the necessarily the same as the unix user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back