Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sync to hotmail or yahoo mail etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisLaborde

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2002
US
Is there a way to sync your PDA to your Hotmail, or Yahoo based email? So far, all the sync abilities I've seen refer to PC based email/contact applications, like Outlook....

Travis

If you find out you have to let me know!! I have been searching and wanting this for two years. I did the stupid MSN browser beta, and begged them then for it. I thought I saw some ways to do it, at least I keep seeing Pocket Outlook 2002. This could be idiots not knowing what they are talking about. But, I bought a phone when I saw that. If there is such a beast, you should be able to set up an HTTP mail client, which of course would mean you could get your hotmail on your phone. Woo hoo! Finally truly mobile! I am not a sinker (syncher) I refused to buy a palm pilot until now because I thought that stupid idea was finally gone! So, I am getting a little upset cause I can't seem to find it. I see articles about it...but I just don't see how to achieve this software. :-\

ummm, how do you synch with a webbased email ???

they are stored on the server and there they stay
unlike your using some email app on your pc, use pop to get the emails to your pc, then you can synch to your pda

I don't know if this will work or not but you can set up another account in Outlook and tell it the hotmail email address and you can use Outlook with your hotmail...so if you do that I wonder it will sync?

To set up another acount go to tools-->E-mail acounts...
then select creat a new acount and walk thru the wizard. Then try to sync like normal.

Let us all know if this works or not!

Yes, this works, but it's sort of a double-sync :) First you have to login to your Outlook, on a specific PC, and get it to grab your Hotmail,,, then you sync that PC to the PDA.

I was really hoping for a pure "if the PDA has IP, it can sync with Hotmail" sort of thing. I guess thats still a bit in the future :)

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Travis

Within Outlook on your Pocket PC go to Services and setup your desired POP account to sync. I believe the Pocket PC can handle up to 5 different service types. I haven't personnally done it in several years, but when I did it was relatively straight forward to do.

Good luck,

[pc3]

I sync up with 3 POP accounts via my PDA currently and it works just fine. I'm able to receive and send email on any one of the accounts with no problem. And what's even cooler is I do it all wirelessly. I have my cable modem running through a wireless router. The only issue I ever had was sending email. My cable provider doesn't allow other SMTP servers to flow through there IP addresses, so you may have to setup your out going email with your ISP's SMTP server info.

For example I use Netzero and this is how I have my settings configed:

Incoming -- POP.NETZERO.Com
Outgoing -- SMTP.Comcast.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back