Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SYMPROXYSVC.EXE goes to 99% when IE is opened

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattofkt

MIS
Sep 29, 2003
US
I have a PC here that when IE is opened, SYMPROXYSVC.EXE process jumps to 99% and the webpages load VERY slowly. Have run Norton virus scan, AD Aware, Spybot, etc. It appears to be clean and all other programs work fine. Any input is appreciated.

Are you running Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2002? If so, run LiveUpdate and make sure you have the updates for the software, not just virus definitions. symproxysvc. exe is a valid file for NIS/NPF. You may have to create a new rule (allow access) after the update because the LiveUpdate modifies the file.

Jeff C.

If all else fails, read the directions.
If that fails, REBOOT!

I have exactly the same problem, I'm running NIS 2002 with XP.

If you disable the Privicy Control part of NPF or NIS is solves the problem. That way you still maintain firewall protection but you miss out on protecting your confidential data.

SYMPROXYSVC.EXE is the program that NPF uses to communicate with HTTP based systems and I presume this is what is causing the problem.

Long term solution is to either upgrade to NIS 2004 or wait for a patch.

Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back